Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thursday Rookie Tip of the Week

     Many times rookies are not sure what to bring and what to wear to their first rehearsal.  Last week I talked about getting a binder.  Here is a list of what you need for your first rehearsal:

Positive Attitude

     Rookies who jump right in and get to know their instructors, talk to the director and make new friends have the best experiences.  When I went down to Rockford, IL to try out for the Phantom Regiment in the mid-1980's I went by myself and soon was surrounded by people from all over the country and even as far away as England, Canada and Japan.  At the first meal I got out of my normal "comfort zone" and sat down next to a bunch of strangers and introduced myself as "Rex from Wisconsin".  These people would later become lifelong friends.  I also took in everything my instructors taught me and even though the experience was very difficult at times - my positive attitude got me through it.  In Brigade - be ready to work really hard, meet some amazing staff members and fellow students, and also be prepared to fall asleep right away when you get home!!

The Right Clothes

     Jeans are not the best choice for winter camps.  Not only will we be playing our instruments - we will be stretching, moving and marching.  Sweats and warm-ups are the better choice.  Also - be sure to have sneakers.  During the summer, sneakers and socks are required - no bare feet or sandals are ever allowed on the practice field.

Lunch/Snacks/Water

     For Saturday rehearsals - first off - eat a good breakfast!  You will need your energy.  Bring a bag lunch because we ask that you do not leave Gifford during the lunch break.  Water is ALWAYS a good idea in the winter or summer and snacks are great to have at break times.  However, please do not eat any food in the auditorium!

Binder/Instrument

     This one should be self explanatory.  Brigade is all about being responsible and making sure you have what you will need to have productive rehearsals.

Payments

     Please keep up to date with the payment schedule and make sure all of your required forms are in.  If a member does not have the pink emergency card, for example, turned in - they do not travel with us.  Mr. Harms will be at rehearsals (usually at the start) to collect all payments and forms.


     This is a good start as far as what rookies (and veteran's, too!) should bring to rehearsals.  Here is to a great 2008 season......I can't wait to hear the music!!

     Today's Brigade marching member "shout-out" goes out to: Olivia (guard)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks 4 da reminders, Rex. I'm lookin forward 2 my 1st days of Basics.