Friday, February 1, 2008

I Hate Snow Days!

     Believe it or not - I hate snow days!  They are like buying and huge flat screen tv using a credit card just so that you can have it for the Super Bowl.  It's all good fun for the big game - but then the bill comes in the mail and you have to pay for it.  This is just what is going on with all of these snow days.  Students might love getting out of school.....but I wonder if they realize that they will all have to be made up - and made up when the weather is going to be nice and warm.  Picture some great June weather - nice warm, sunny days with no bugs yet.....and we are all still stuck in school.  

     I don't know about the rest of you - but by the time June comes rolling around - I am SO ready for school to be done and Brigade to start.  I want to get that drill going and I want our band camp to be a positive experience - not a stressed out one.

     Well - there is not too much I can do now.  I thought the three snow days last year were a fluke and that I would not have to resort to a bunch of 5-9 rehearsals that last week of school.  If you look at the "Latest Brigade News" site - you will see that I have had to change the schedule quite a bit since our band camp, and the opportunity for 9-9 days is getting smaller and smaller.  Oh, well - we got through it last year and I actually think that as a staff we learned a few things so that this year we should be more prepared to deal with the shortened band camp schedule - so no worries.  I will be asking the members, however, to really take to heart what the staff will be telling them.  If, for example, they ask you to memorize the opener by the next camp.....then it just needs to be done!!  We simply can't play "catch-up" and still expect to be competitive this season.  You will be hearing lots more about this from me over the winter and into the spring.

     My Brigade marching member "shout-out" of the day goes out to: Allison (trumpet)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we had a terrible problem with the TV last summer!!

Anonymous said...

I hate bugs. They're gross. I don't like snow days as much as you. The schedule gets all wacked up.

But hey!
Band camp this weekend!
It's going to be fun!!
:]]