Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rex is writing drill already!!

Yup - you read it correctly - I am starting the drill writing process and it is not even March, yet!  Everyone needs to be extra nice to me from now on because I have the power to make your own personal drill easy or a nightmare - simply by moving my little step size spacer just a little bit when I come to your drill spot!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My plan is for the Intro of the show to be sketched out so that Todd can get a head start with his color guard writing.  I'll be at the percussion camp at Gifford this weekend and I plan on setting up shop in the cafeteria with my trusty drill writing tools and lots and lots of drill paper.  If you have ever wondered how I go about designing drill - here is an inside look!

It always begins with the music - everything we do is based off of that.  The first thing I will do is create a chart that will break down each movement of the show into musical phrases.  Each phrase is usually 16 counts, but there will be times when a drill move may only be 8 counts long or some strange ones that might be 17 counts with a move 16, halt 1 sequence or something like that.  My drill chart will also include which instruments have the melody or need to be featured as well as any special considerations such as a soloist.  The chart also includes very detailed guard instructions from Todd including what kind of equipment the ladies will be using and where he thinks they should be placed for a guard feature.

Often times in drill writing, the design takes a back seat to me just getting everyone where they are supposed to be.  Don't be fooled by trying to find a pretty drill picture - the real job of the drill is to get the members from point A to point B.  The movement IN-BETWEEN the drill charts is what I am really going for.  Unless the members are halted for a long period of time - the drill charts only last one count.  Maybe I'll start a "Wednesday Drill Design 101" post!

So - be nice to the drill writer.  Making me mad will have you running from chart to chart while your neighbors are easily marching charts with 8-5 steps and are laughing at you.  Also - don't ever be a JDW!  If you don't know what that is - come back next Wednesday for my next "Drill Design 101" post!

Today's marching member "shout-out" goes out to: Marci (battery)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is drill gonna b hard???????????

Unknown said...

Still using the JDW term eh Rex? Hearing that invokes so many memories.

When are you going to give in an get PiWare ;)