Monday, July 7, 2008

2008 Season Update

Our home show finally had decent weather - maybe a bit chilly - but after some years of rain - we will take it!! The Junior Brigade looked and sounded fantastic and were a terrific way to start off the home show! When it was our turn to perform we were very fired up to march in front of our loyal and loud home crowd! I always expect the members to have shows that get better each time out and our show on the 3rd did just that. Many thanks have to go out to the countless parents who made the home show happen. I felt that everything from start to finish went off without a hitch and I think it is one of the best organized shows in our circuit! Great job Brigade parents!!!!!!!

As a staff we felt that we took a rather large step forward and two nights later, in Sun Prairie, WI we had our best show to date. To be honest - I was not pleased with the scores in Sun Prairie. I felt that they didn't reflect how we should be compared to our competition.....but what can you do, right??!! It can be easy to get down or frustrated about all of this - but in the end you really just make things worse - so we just keep working on the stuff we know is not 100% solid yet and keep adding cool stuff to make our show have that little extra something that makes everyone make sure they don't miss our performance.

Tonight, weather permitting, will be our last show before finals in Traverse City. We haven't performed in Sandwich, IL since 2006 and I hope that we can close the point spreads in all of our captions. I'm not saying I expect to be in first place tonight - but I AM expecting to be very competitive in all captions. I also believe that we should be winning the visual execution (marching) trophy and I also think we have a shot at the percussion trophy. We shall see, I guess. Kudos to the members for not letting the scores affect how they rehearse - I think most if not all of our members have bought into our thought process of working really hard, improving, always moving forward with our performance levels, and finally - not getting caught up in something we can't control (scores and how the other bands rehearse and perform).

Last night in Kenosha we were .01 away from the high percussion trophy! Maggie, our outstanding drum major, took the drum major trophy - so congrats to her - she certainly has earned it!! The Brigade also took the high visual execution trophy as well as the "People's Choice Award". This award is a traveling trophy and is my favorite one of the entire season so far because it sums up what we are all about - we work really hard to put on a great show for ourselves and our audience......and maybe even a little bit for the judges - but in the end - what really matters to us is your crowd response!!

I can't wait to go back to Traverse City!! It is really beautiful there and there are many cool events with the Cherry Festival going on as well as great shopping and miles of beach to explore and enjoy. I will be giving our members plenty of free time to just relax and chill out with their Brigade friends. I realize it is finals week - but I also want them to have some down time in addition to some really serious rehearsals leading up to the 2008 MACBDA Championships. I'll try to find internet access in Traverse to bring you daily updates if at all possible. Until then,

- Rex out

No comments: