Wednesday, January 30, 2008

To march or not to march?

     This is the time of the year when some Brigade veterans (especially seniors) start thinking about coming back to march another season, or doing something else instead of Brigade.  Time and time again I have seen seniors who have been with Brigade since 8th grade decide not to come back for their last year.  This is always very heartbreaking to myself and the staff because these students won't have the chance to be recognized with their parents at our home show, they won't be able to be in the senior chapters on the annual DVD and they will not have the opportunity to be selected to receive the Matt LaBelle Award.  They will also not have the chance to be leaders for our younger Brigade members while giving back to the organization that gave them so much in return.

     Because I have been doing this for a number of years, I have seen this happen time and time again and I quite often hear from many former marching members who regretted the decisions they made to not march all of their years.  High school goes by real quick and the time-line to be in a great organization like the Lighthouse Brigade is really small when compared to working for 30+ years after high school.  Sometimes I think our older members should reflect how they felt when people they marched with and looked up to didn't come back.  We all understand that sometimes students have other important things that have to take place during the Brigade season.  I highly suggest, however, to do everything possible to come back and march with Brigade and to make the most out of every minute.  You can never get these years back!

     I am very excited for the first full rehearsals to begin in a few weeks - and I hope to see many, many veterans come back to do the thing we all love........Lighthouse Brigade!

     Here is my marching member "shout-out" of the day:  David (Baritone) - Go Bears!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get sick of this every year. Just march, we all know how much we love brigade!!!!!!!!