Monday, January 28, 2008

Classical Music?

I have heard comments from various members about the show music this year - everything from why we are playing classical music that was written in the 1800's to how can a marching band play music that was originally written for a symphony orchestra.

One thing I can tell them is what happened in 2006 - the year we won championships.  I selected a show based on music from the movie, "Dragon Heart".  I had never even seen the movie myself, but my music arranger, Dan Lutz, could not say enough about the musical score.  One listen and I, too was hooked.  When members started to hear the original score from the movie they heard.....strings!!  How could a marching band play a show that has music written for strings?

The answer is that in the hands of amazing music arrangers and percussion designers - great things happen.  The music for this year's show - Symphony No. 9 in E Minor (The "New World Symphony") is GREAT music.  It has stood the test of time and sounds just as beautiful and exciting as it did when it was first performed many years ago.  When you start with great music and add in quality arrangers and designers - awesome things happen.

The music for this year's field show is outstanding and I can't wait to hear it played by our members.  I would suggest that you go out and buy a recording of the New World Symphony.  Even if you think you don't like classical music (and I didn't really listen to it until college) you may find yourself pleasantly surprised! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Rex,

Nice blog. I think this is going to give a lot of people really good insight on all the good things going on with this great organization.

To add to your topic here if I may. What you have said is spot on. I have even heard pieces of music that in their orginial form are not very pleasing but sound amazing when capable people get their hands on them. Especially at the marching level. Wether it be drum corps or marching band.

Even this year at the Kilties (June 27th, Horlick Field ;) ) we are playing music composed Michael Schulz (aka Praetorious). His music is mostly heard in pieces written for Protastent Hymns or more simply Reniassance Church music. Which after this last weekends camp works very well as a drum corps show.

Best of luck in 2008 Brigade!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anders!

Yeah - Guy played me the MIDI recordings for the Kilties show and it sounded great. Some of that music, on its own, would not seem to be a good fit for a drum corps on a football field.......but when people like Rick Kirby and Scott Boerma arrange it - magical things happen!

I can't wait to see you guys this summer!

Unknown said...

Just got my summer Schedule for Kilties. Couple dates standout a bit.

1 June 29th - Oregon, WI
2 July 5th - Sun Prairie, WI

So we'll see you there ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to catch your guys show. Might be difficult. I would imagine we would go on after all the bands have gone. Similar to what they did for the Madison Reunion Corps.