Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mini-Camp Report

     Hello Rex Blog fans!  Sorry it's been a few weeks since my last blog entries.  I wanted to finish up my "Get To Know Your Brigade Staff" and after doing that I was in the middle of my Mitchell Symphony Band trip to NYC and school concerts, etc., etc.  I still have a couple to go - I am going to spotlight Paul Ruffolo (our DVD and recording expert) and my big brother, Gene (our lighthousebrigade.org webmaster).  Maybe I'll even spotlight myself - who knows!

     The mini-camp was very productive and the weather held out for us all weekend.  I see this camp as a huge opportunity to start getting the members to learn how to really rehearse effectively and how we do things the "Brigade Way".  It will be June when we meet again and we are really going to push the members to learn charts quickly and get the show taught and get them performing it at a high level.  For our Saturday 9-9 coming up on June 6th - the members will get computerized charts for the entire opener and the week after that Korean Folk Songs Part I, II and III.  Because of so many snow days our camp has been cut short of 9-9 days - so I have had to adjust the schedule to include 5-9 rehearsals the last full week of school.  This is NOT the ideal way to rehearse and it is a real burden for members trying to study for finals - but at this point there is really not a choice!  We have had to do this the last couple of seasons, so I guess we are getting used to it!

     I thought the parent concert went really great and I am very excited about our whole show after hearing all of the sections playing together.  Is everything polished and perfect?  Of course not - but I think everyone can feel that this show has a TON of potential.  

     As we are getting into band camp and the MACBDA season - I will try to blog daily - so stay tuned for updates on how the members are doing, what the awesome Boosters are cooking for dinner, what the scores from the previous night's show were, and lots more inside information from me!

- Rex out


No comments: